If I ever doubted that God loved me, or was really involved in my life, which I do sometimes, what happened at church yesterday helped bring me back to "reality." Due to the recent vision and faith-refining process I'm going through (see gargantuan entry prior to this one), I'm a bit worn out, to tell you the truth. I sometimes get tired of being challenged, and just want a little rest, some pleasant encouragement. Well, it was ALL OVER THE PLACE yesterday!
- The speaker at the 11 o'clock service used I Chronicles 12:32 as the verse du jour: "And of the sons of Issachar, men who understood the times, with knowledge of what Israel should do, their chiefs were two hundred; and all their kinsmen were at their command." Not exactly a well-worn passage. This is the same passage that Sue used during one of the devotional times at GEM's German team retreat that I took part in last March during my visit!
- The Salvation Army Brass Band of New York was the special guest during both morning services yesterday. The were fantastic!! I mean, really, really fantastic! Whenever I hear good brass music, I of course think of Eurobrass, the ministry has been such a huge, wonderful part of my life. AND, they sing too! Brass players who sing?! Come on! I couldn't sing due to that silly laryngitis, but my soul was singing through their instruments. What a unique expression of the body of Christ, carrying the burdens of others. Carrying my burden by playing and singing for me when I couldn't.
- I've struggled with laryngitis all week, and had prayed for a recovery to sing a concert at King's Chapel yesterday. My vocal cords were still a bit swollen, but I had enough voice to get through the concert. And my voice is doing OK today also. HUGE answer to prayer.
- A few pieces on the concert were in German. "Und es freuet sich mein Geist..." "And my soul rejoices." My Geist was definitely not freueting while singing that. :) I was reminded that if Mary, facing social ostracism and potential stoning due to her pregnancy with Jesus can utter such words honestly, well then, what's a little laryngitis to keep me from doing the same! "And be telling of his salvation from day to day," Purcell gave us to sing after that. Thank you God, for wonderful sacred music that is so encouraging.
- At Park Street's 6 o'clock service that I was 30 minutes late for because of the concert down the street, the scripture reading was from, you guessed it: Matthew 4! Nets!! Dropping them and saying "yes" to God. And we sang the song "Knowing You"... a Eurobrass favorite. Chris, the amazing counter-melody for horn in your Eurobrass arrangement of that song were soaring through my mind and soul last night.
Thank you so much for your prayers. Have a wonderful week!
What an exciting, comforting, assuring, truly blessed day!
ReplyDeleteChris