Thursday, October 8, 2009

Finished!

So, yeah, it's been almost a month since I last wrote. I leave Union Mills tomorrow, after 4.5 weeks of fun-filled cross-cultural training, lots of prayer, wonderful relationships, and so much more. There are 23 other people here for the training: families, couples, and singles. I was warned before I arrived that this would be a strenuous time with lots of homework. And I laughed it off a bit. But they're NOT KIDDING! I had at least 3 hours of homework every day, after being in class from 8:30AM - 3PM.
The most important rule that we learned during our cultural training is to view different cultures not as WEIRD, but DIFFERENT. I had no idea how quickly I would have to put that principle into practice.
Now, I'm from Missouri, and I didn't think the culture here would be all that different. Until a few of my classmates and I saw this on the shelf in the kitchen last week:


What exactly IS "Dry Rub for Pork Butt?" Can anyone help me out here? I mean, is this a joke? What in the world!!! This certainly is, um... different. :-)
On a brighter note, I handed in my research paper on Germany this morning. What was supposed to be a minimum of 15 pages turned into 50 (I write as much as I talk!), and I'm SOOO tired today! As the old saying goes: If you're tired, go to sleep. So I'm off to take a nap!
I leave early in the morning to see some wonderful people in the Raleigh area, and then will make my way back up to Boston. Can't wait to breathe that city air again.

My time here at CIT was so intense, I'll be working through all I learned for a good long while. And I'm sure much of it will appear here. So thanks in advance for your interest, and bis später!

2 comments:

  1. I think the dry rub for pork butt is seasoning to rub onto the meat (pork butt)before it gets cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep...welcome to north carolina. we like our pork butt 'round here. (well I still prefer my k.c. beef barbeque)

    It was great to see you. I hope the rest of your weekend went well.

    ReplyDelete