Saturday, July 17, 2010

It seemed like a good idea...

So, last week Maren and I went crazy at the supermarket, and bought many bags of cereal. All different kinds, just to try them out. I LOVE cereal.
We were at the Bio (organic) store, and I saw one bag that looked really good, and is apparently extremely healthy. Especially for me, as a replacement for Honey Smacks. :)
This one is called "Dinkelpops". Dinkelpops!!! Hilarious!

Anyway, I was SO excited for this experience. But after I pulled the milk out of the fridge and tried pouring the milk onto my Dinkelpops, it was immediately obvious that the milk had gone bad! And I don't mean just a little bad, as in it smelled questionable. We're talking huge clumps of spoiled milk. Gross! I quickly stopped pouring, and tried to salvage the remaining not-ruined-by-clumpy-milk Dinklepops by digging them out and putting them in another bowl. I could have poured them back into the bag, but I was SO intent upon eating this little treat, that the thought entered my mind to just mix yogurt and water to make a milk-like substance to eat with my precious Dinklepops. I know what you're thinking: BAD IDEA. It was horrible!
I just hope that this little experiment hasn't ruined Dinkelpops for me forever. :(

6 comments:

  1. Your Barnabas group humbly requests that you provide us with Dinklepops post-haste! (jk)

    We'd send you some good milk, but it probably wouldn't be in good shape either by the time it gets there. And we all know how gross the dehydrated milk is.

    Speaking of, are there any American cereals (or other food items for that matter) that you miss, in addition to Honey Smacks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried yogurt alone (without the water) with your Dinklepops? I'm somewhat lactose-intolerant, and have eaten yogurt as a milk-substitute with cereal for years (actually, decades!). Of course, any actual "pops" the cereal may produce with milk are very muted when yogurt is used instead, but you may not want that extra excitement with meals anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could also try hot cocoa, melted ice cream, or even canned evaporated milk. But not coconut milk - that's just nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all very funny. Thanks for the advice. :) Frank, the problem is that the sourness of the yogurt totally ruins the sugar experience. I think water alone would have been better! Clark, I gave Kristen a list of American cereals and other things that I miss. So many chemicals that we're used to in the States aren't allowed into food products here in Europe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So use yogurt with fruit in it! (They probably add sugar to it here).

    Speaking of which:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/24/business/media/24food.html?_r=1&hp

    ReplyDelete
  6. Years ago, upon arriving for my first visit back to the States after 1.5 years in Germany, the friends who picked me up at O'Hare offered to take me 'anywhere I'd like' for some "American food that you've missed--we've got everything here: McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's Taco Bell..." I had to manufacture some appearance of excitement, because most ''American Food" just didn't excite me anymore--and when I repatriated after a total of 5 years, the FOOD was the hardest thing to adjust back to...and still I try to replicate to some extent how I ate in Germany...only partially doable. I generally ate healthier, fresher, and believe it or not, CHEAPER there! How I long now for a good Döner! Used to live off them 3xWeek for DM5,- (about US$3.50 at the time). Kristi, you'll be amazed at how your taste buds will change...when you next visit the US, you'll probably detest the amount of sugar in everything...not from labels, but from TASTE. I see from your most recent email, that you're now enjoying yoghurt on your müsli...w/fruit, or plain? You might enjoy the light-sour & sweet combination. That was also my favorite breakfast. I knew some Germans who even used that carrot-colored "Multivitaminsaft" on Müsli--not bad--when there's no dairy. I also enjoyed the amazing varieties of honey...my favorite: Rapshonig..."kaltgeschleudert, mild und streichfest." Can't get it here, though they produce tons of it in Canada...I saw it on 'Supermarkt' shelves in Hamburg (can't find good Müsli here, either). Of course, smeared with real butter on a good Schwarzbrot or Müslibrot, or warmes Brôtchen! Mmmmmm...lecker! If you haven't yet, you've got to try (not necessarily for breakfast) the Leberwurst, and, always a staple for my Abendbrot: Zwiebelmett...looks like raw hamburger (it IS raw)...with butter and a little salt on a good dense bread or even Knäckebrot...oh my!

    --Scott

    P.S. You won't have to worry about getting enough FIBER in your diet there, either!

    ReplyDelete