I just had 2 of the coolest hours of my life. Let me tell you about them:
Our street outreach today was UNBELIEVABLE. About an hour into it a young guy approached us to ask for advice about buying a birthday gift. A bit later as we explained that when people are interested, we invite them to one of our church services. He said: "I honestly wouldn't come. I grew up in the protestant church, but I've decided on my own beliefs about God."
He was really nice, and very open to talking with us.
Tobi, a young very gifted German evangelist who will be joining us hopefully regularly for these outreaches and I had an hour long conversation with this young man ("young man", he's my age) about the church, Jesus, God the Father, the world, Christians, evil and suffering, and his family (specifically his Grandfather who knew the Bible in and out and was the most wise, beautiful person he has ever known). Throughout the course of the conversation we both shared our faith stories with him, and Tobi shared like 3 of the most brilliantly concise and compelling versions of the gospel with him that I've ever heard. It ended with this:
T: "Have you ever read the New Testament?"
YG (young guy): "No, I haven't."
T: "If you had a copy would you be interested in reading it?"
YG: "Well, yeah, maybe."
T: "Because I have a copy with me..."
He promised us he would read it sometime, and we encouraged him that it really is worth it to get to know Jesus because he's so stinking cool. This was by far the most relaxed, respectful (from both sides), beautiful human interactions about God and religion that I've ever been a part of.
------------------------------------------------------------
That was the first hour and 45 minutes. There's still 15 minutes to report on.After we were finished I went to a Turkish place to get some dinner on my way home (see left) :). I only had 5 euro in my pocket, and I told the owner I could only afford 6 grape leaves instead of 8 because I also wanted salad. :)
Smiling he said:
"Well, all that would cost you 6 Euro, but you could sing a song to make up for the other 1 Euro." (For real... I'm not making this up.)
K: "As it turns out, I'm a singer! I'd love to sing you a song. Do you have a request?"
Owner: "Oh, I don't know. Anything."
K: "OK, when is your birthday?"
Owner: "January."
K: "Well, it's a little late, but..."
And I sang Happy Birthday in English. They loved it, and said that I have a beautiful voice (not trying to praise myself here, but this fits with the rest of the story.)
He made me the most beautiful plate of food I've ever seen. Even threw in that awesome piece of bread. :)
As I was paying I said:
"Isn't God good? He gives us such wonderful food, and beautiful music to enjoy."
Owner: "Indeed. Will you sing to me every time you come back? Say, twice a week?" (He's a good business man.)
I promised him at least one time each week, Thursdays after a regular appointment (our street outreach.)
Isn't it wonderful to be human, to have money to buy food, and to know God?
Kristi, you are evidence that God loves us and wants us to be happy. I know that Ben Franklin said that very thing about beer, and perhaps your joy about life and Jesus and food and music resembles the contentment brought on by beer, good convo, good music, etc. So, thank God for you. -- TC
ReplyDeleteLove both stories, Kristi! Sure do miss you!
ReplyDelete